About Us

Arundel School’s reputation as one of the world’s leading centres of academic excellence is based on the students’ genuine love of learning.

Arundel is a safe, supportive and encouraging environment: students promote their mental, physical, spiritual and social development by taking full advantage of the many opportunities on offer in the Arts, Sciences, Drama, Music, Sports and community.

The School motto Gratia et Scientia embodies a set of values for life geared to provide the young ladies with a discerning and reliable code to steer themselves through the business of life in an increasingly competitive world. Arundel ladies provide ample proof of resilience.

Accomplished young ladies continue to sally forth into the world each year, brilliantly geared to meet its challenges while flying the Arundel flag.


To be amongst the foremost girls’ schools in the world, creating leaders of influence in their spheres.


To provide a platform for girls from diverse backgrounds to achieve their full potential.


Respect, Integrity, Excellence, Compassion

Arundel History

Early in 1954, one hundred acres of Arundel Farm became the site of Arundel School.

The land was sold to a newly formed Board of Trustees by Mr and Mrs Simpson for a pittance, and the dream of Arundel School was born.

The School was to cater for girls, both boarders and day scholars, be inter-denominational and draw its pupils from all corners of the then Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland, the countries now known as Zimbabwe, Zambia and Malawi.

The Foundation Stone was laid on 27th May 1955, a day commemorated every year with a special service.

The first boarding house, Sabi, was ready for its first intake of girls in January 1956 whilst classrooms were being built.

The School opened in Sabi House and was moved early in the first term to the newly completed classroom block.

Priorities for the Headmistress, Miss Fisher, were a swimming pool, a Chapel and more classrooms.

By 1959 a new wing of buildings was added, the ground floor consisting of two large classrooms and the upper floor (now known as the Cinema) becoming a temporary Chapel.

By 1968 there were three boarding houses, new classrooms and other facilities, such as the first housing for resident staff.

The school has continued to grow into the well-established community we know today, with facilities for all departments, sports, music and other activities.

Arundel School continues to move forward as an outstanding educational establishment.

The story of Arundel cannot possibly be told in one page but is detailed in the book “Grace and Learning from Africa” written by former Headmistress Mrs.

Dorothy Twiss. “Grace and Learning from Africa” is available from the Reception Office for US$25.

Fenella Cottage

Fenella Cottage was left in trust to the school by Mr T.B. Simpson, the original owner of Arundel Farm, after his death in 1989. The cottage is situated in Nyanga at the foot of Fenella Falls on the road to World’s View above Troutbeck.

It nestles in a small valley surrounded by forests. A short walk from the cottage takes one to a viewpoint overlooking Troutbeck Hotel and its lake. Adjacent to the Cottage, is Fenella Hall of Residence, which offers group accommodation for just over a hundred people.

This is ideal for students on their educational and sporting excursions as well as any groups for retreats, team building and recreational trips.

Arundel Parents Association (APA)

All parents and guardians of currently enrolled students are members of the Arundel Parents’ Association. They are expected to be involved in supporting all aspects of the life of the School.

The APA is led by a vibrant and committed body of parents who give their time and efforts to fundraise for projects that directly help or benefit the students.