Early in 1954 one hundred acres of Arundel Farm became the site of Arundel School. The land was sold to a newly formed Board of Trustees by Mr and Mrs Simpson for a pittance, and the dream of Arundel School was born. The school was to cater for girls, both boarders and day scholars, be inter-denominational and draw its pupils from all corners of the then Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland, the countries now known as Zimbabwe,Zambia and Malawi.
The foundation stone was laid on 27th May 1955, a day commemorated every year with a special service. The first boarding house, Sabi, was ready for its first intake of girls in January 1956 whilst classrooms were being built. The school opened in Sabi House and was moved early in the first term to the newly completed classroom block. Priorities for the Headmistress Miss Fisher were a swimming pool, a Chapel and more classrooms. By 1959 a new wing of buildings was added, the ground floor consisting of two large classrooms and the upper floor (now known as the Cinema) becoming a temporary Chapel.
By 1968 there were three boarding houses, together with new classrooms and other facilities such as the first housing for resident staff. The school has continued to grow into the well-established community we know today, with facilities for all departments, sports, music and other activities. Arundel School continues to move forward as an outstanding educational establishment. The story of Arundel cannot possibly be told in one page but is detailed in the book Grace and Learning from Africa written by former Headmistress Mrs. Dorothy Twiss together with Mrs. Rose Cochrane. Grace and Learning from Africa is available from the Reception Office at a cost of US$ 20.